The Competitive Impact of the UBS-SBC Merger
AbstractThis short paper reviews the recent anti-trust analysis of banking mergers as well as recent decisions by the Department of Justice and the Bundeskartellamt (in the last few months). We analyse the proposed merger between UBS and SBC in light of this evidence and focus on the domestic retail banking. Three conclusions stand out : - There is overwhelming evidence that the relevant market for some products is local. In particular, the market for loans to small and medium size enterprises should be considered as a local market and this has consistently been the practice of both the US and German authorities. - Barriers to entry in retail banking are significant so that high concentration should be a source of concern. This concern is reflected in recent decisions on bank mergers by the Department of Justice. By the standards of the US practice, the concentration resulting from the UBS-SBC merger would be simply unacceptable and by a wide margin. - Divestiture is the most common remedy in banking and it seems to be effective. Given the concentration entailed by the proposed merger, nothing less than a the full divestiture of one retail network seems adequate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP in its series Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) with number 9805.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Apr 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP, Internef, CH-1015 Lausanne
Phone: ++41 21 692.33.64
Fax: ++41 21 692.33.05
Web page: http://www.hec.unil.ch/deep/publications/cahiers/series
More information through EDIRC
UBS-SBC merger; concentration; barriers to entry; local markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- L44 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Antitrust Policy and Public Enterprise, Nonprofit Institutions, and Professional Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hannan, Timothy H., 1991. "Bank commercial loan markets and the role of market structure: evidence from surveys of commercial lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 133-149, February.
- Myron L. Kwast & Martha Starr-McCluer & John D. Wolken, 1997. "Market definition and the analysis of antitrust in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Doris Neuberger & Christoph Schacht, 2005. "The Number of Bank Relationships of SMEs: A Disaggregated Analysis for the Swiss Loan Market," Finance 0506018, EconWPA.
- Doris Neuberger & Christoph Schacht, 2005.
"The Number of Bank Relationships of SMEs: A Disaggregated Analysis for the Swiss Loan Market,"
Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory
52, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics, Germany.
- Doris Neuberger & Christoph Schacht, 2005. "The Number of Bank Relationships of SMEs: A Disaggregated Analysis for the Swiss Loan Market," Finance 0509001, EconWPA.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Restructuring Financial Regulation in the European Monetary Union," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 57-82, February.
- José García Solanes & Diego Peñarrubia, 2001.
"Economic Integration and Banking Mergers Strategies,"
01-07, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- José García Solanes & Diego Peñarrubia, . "Economic Integration and Banking Mergers Strategies," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 01-07, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudine Delapierre Saudan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.