Worker Flows and Job Flows in Danish Manufacturing, 1980-91
AbstractThis paper examines turnover of workers and jobs on the panel of all plants in Danish manufacturing for the years 1980-1991. We relate worker turnover to job turnover with a focus on the share of worker reallocation driven by job reallocation, and we consider the behavior of job and worker flows over the business cycle, throwing light on some recent theories of the cyclical behavior of the labor market. The amount of job creation and job destruction is similar in Denmark and the U.S., but job reallocation in Denmark is acyclical contrary to American findings. The probability of plant closure covaries negatively with the business cycle whereas the amount of plant openings varies positively with the business cycle, in particular for small plants. Worker reallocation is strongly procyclical, due to strong procyclicality of replacement hirings (hiring to an existing job). Our findings are consistent with nonconvex adjustment costs for plant hiring and firing, and with models that explain replacement hirings as driven by worker quits, whereas they seem at odds with theories that view recessions as optimal periods for restructuring the plant labor force.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 95-12.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Jul 1995
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Economic Journal, 1998, 108(451), pp 1750-71
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Albaek, Karsten & Sorensen, Bent E, 1998. "Worker Flows and Job Flows in Danish Manufacturing, 1980-91," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(451), pages 1750-71, November.
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mário Centeno & Álvaro A. Novo & Carla Machado, 2007. "Job Creation and Destruction in Portugal," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Oreopoulos, Philip & Wachter, Till von & Heisz, Andrew, 2008.
"The Short- and Long-Term Career Effects of Graduating in a Recession: Hysteresis and Heterogeneity in the Market for College Graduates,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3578, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Philip Oreopoulos & Till von Wachter & Andrew Heisz, 2006. "The Short- and Long-Term Career Effects of Graduating in a Recession: Hysteresis and Heterogeneity in the Market for College Graduates," NBER Working Papers 12159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mamede, Ricardo, 2006.
"Towards an integrated approach to industry dynamics and labour mobility,"
3994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ricardo Mamede, 2009. "Toward an integrated approach to industry dynamics and labor mobility," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 139-163, February.
- Centeno, Mário & Novo, Álvaro A., 2012.
"Excess worker turnover and fixed-term contracts: Causal evidence in a two-tier system,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 320-328.
- Mário Centeno & Álvaro A. Novo, 2012. "Excess worker turnover and fixed-term contracts: Causal evidence in a two-tier system," Working Papers w201205, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Centeno, Mario & Novo, Alvaro A., 2011. "Excess Worker Turnover and Fixed-Term Contracts: Causal Evidence in a Two-Tier System," IZA Discussion Papers 6239, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Centeno, Mario & Machado, Carla & Novo, Alvaro A., 2009. "Excess Turnover and Employment Growth: Firm and Match Heterogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 4586, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kock, Udo, 1998. "Constructing labour market flows for the Netherlands using macro data from social security provisions : 1970-1995," Serie Research Memoranda 0040, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Broersma, Lourens & Butter, Frank A.G. den & Kock, Udo, 1998. "A national accounting system for labour market flows : an application to the Netherlands," Serie Research Memoranda 0059, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Martin-Barroso, David & Nuñez-Serrano, Juan Andres & Turrion, Jaime & Velazquez, Francisco J., 2011. "The European Map of Job Flows," MPRA Paper 33602, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Fischer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.