Economic Impacts of Individual Fishing Quota Management in the Pacific Coast Groundfish Fishery
AbstractThis paper characterizes anticipated changes in fleet structure, individual vessel harvesting activity, and economic performance in the pacific coast groundfish fishery under an individual fishing quota management program. Results suggest that the current fleet which consists of 117 vessels will be reduced by roughly 50% - 66% to 40-60 boats. This will result in fleetwide annual costs savings in the range of $18 - $22 million (based on the price and cost estimates of year 2004). However, these savings could shrink significantly if restrictions on quota trading across vessels are incorporated into the program design. Alternative modes of taxing fishing revenues to fund program administration and their impact on fleet size and total fishery value under quota management is also studied. We conclude that individual fishing quotas can be an attractive alternative for pacific coast groundfish.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 12891.
Date of creation: 31 Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Sergio Gomez y Paloma, 2010.
"Distributional Effects of CAP Subsidies: Micro Evidence from the EU,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_05, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2011. "Distributional Effects of CAP Subsidies: Micro Evidence from the EU," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114291, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Michalek, Jerzy & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2011. "Distributional Effects of CAP Subsidies: Micro Evidence from the EU," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 102978, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.