Ex Ante Evaluation of the Economic Impacts of Growth Promotants in the U.S. Livestock and Meat Sector
AbstractIntroduction of animal growth-enhancing technologies will have significant economic impacts on the U.S. livestock sector. Products analyzed include somatotropins and b-agonists in both beef and pork. Economic impacts on the beef, pork, and poultry sectors are estimated using a quarterly econometric simulation model of the U.S. livestock sector. The model allows for: (1) dynamic interaction of the competing meat animal industries as growth-enhancing products become available in each industry; and (2) comprehensive accounting of the cross-commodity effects of the technology changes. Results show that initial adopters are likely to obtain some benefits, but industry profits return to "normal" in the longer run.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 11318.
Date of creation: 01 May 1994
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Review of Agricultural Economics, May 1994, vol. 16 no. 2, pp. 159-174
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Jensen, Helen H. & Backstrom, Lennart & Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2001.
"Economic Impact Of A Ban On The Use Of Over The Counter Antibiotics In U.S. Swine Rations,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(01).
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Jensen, Helen H. & Backstrom, Lennart & Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2001. "Economic Impact of a Ban on the Use of Over the Counter Antibiotics in U.S. Swine Rations," Staff General Research Papers 5139, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.