Are hedge funds uncorrelated with financial markets? An empirical assessment
AbstractIn this paper, we examine the correlations between hedge fund strategy indices and asset classes. Based on the Dynamic Conditional Correlation (DCC) GARCH Model, we estimate the correlations between hedge fund, stock, and bond indices during bull and bear markets. The results reveal that there are significant correlations between hedge funds and the stock market, especially during the recent financial crisis that took place from 2007 to 2009.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Research, Ipag Business School in its series Working Papers with number 2014-103.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: 25 Feb 2014
Date of revision:
Hedge funds; Stock market.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2014-03-08 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2014-03-08 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abugri, Benjamin A. & Dutta, Sandip, 2009. "Emerging market hedge funds: Do they perform like regular hedge funds?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 834-849, December.
- Daniel Capocci & Albert Corhay & Georges Hubner, 2005.
"Hedge fund performance and persistence in bull and bear markets,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 361-392.
- Capocci Daniel & Corhay Albert & Hübner Georges, 2004. "Hedge Fund Performance and Persistence in Bull and Bear Markets," Finance 0402018, EconWPA.
- William Fung & David A. Hsieh & Narayan Y. Naik & Tarun Ramadorai, 2008.
"Hedge Funds: Performance, Risk, and Capital Formation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1777-1803, 08.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A & Naik, Narayan & Ramadorai, Tarun, 2006. "Hedge Funds: Performance, Risk and Capital Formation," CEPR Discussion Papers 5565, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicole M. Boyson & Christof W. Stahel & René M. Stulz, 2010. "Hedge Fund Contagion and Liquidity Shocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(5), pages 1789-1816, October.
- Vikas Agarwal, 2004. "Risks and Portfolio Decisions Involving Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 63-98.
- Mark Mitchell, 2001. "Characteristics of Risk and Return in Risk Arbitrage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2135-2175, December.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A, 1997. "Empirical Characteristics of Dynamic Trading Strategies: The Case of Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 275-302.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.