Volatility in the Gold Futures Market
AbstractWe investigate the volatility structure of gold, trading as a futures contract on the Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT) using intraday (high frequency) data from January 1999 to December 2005. Apart from investigating the now familiar GARCH properties we also utilize a rarely used measure of volatility–the Garman Klass estimator – to provide new insights in intraday and interday volatility. This nonparametric measure incorporates the open, close, high and low price within a particular time interval. Both sets of results suggest significant variation across the trading day and week consistent with microstructure theories, although volatility is only slightly positively correlated with volume when measured by tick-count.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IIIS in its series The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series with number iiisdp225.
Date of creation: 25 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Garman Klass estimator; volatility; gold; intraday patterns; futures;
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2007-09-24 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MST-2007-09-24 (Market Microstructure)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brian M Lucey and Alexander Eastman, 2008. "Comparing Garman-Klass and DU Volatility and Symmetry Measures in Intraday Futures Returns and Volumes: A Vector Autoregression Analysis," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp260, IIIS.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Farooq Malik & Michael McAleer, 2011.
"Risk Management of Precious Metals,"
Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico
2011-04, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Farooq Malik & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Risk Management of Precious Metals," Working Papers in Economics 10/37, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Farooq Malik & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Risk Management of Precious Metals," KIER Working Papers 765, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Hammoudeh, S.M. & Malik, F. & McAleer, M.J., 2010. "Risk management of precious metals," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-48, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Ewing, Bradley T. & Malik, Farooq, 2013. "Volatility transmission between gold and oil futures under structural breaks," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 113-121.
- A. Khalifa & S. Hammoudeh & E. Otranto & S. Ramchander, 2012. "Volatility Transmission across Currency, Commodity and Equity Markets under Multi-Chain Regime Switching: Implications for Hedging and Portfolio Allocation," Working Paper CRENoS 201214, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Yuan Yuan & Michael McAleer & Mark A. Thompson, 2009.
"Precious Metals-Exchange Rate Volatility Transmissions and Hedging Strategies,"
CIRJE-F-684, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat M. & Yuan, Yuan & McAleer, Michael & Thompson, Mark A., 2010. "Precious metals-exchange rate volatility transmissions and hedging strategies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 633-647, October.
- Shawkat Hammoudeh & Yuan Yuan & Michael McAleer & Mark A. Thompson, 2009. "Precious Metals-Exchange Rate Volatility Transmissions and Hedging Strategies," CARF F-Series CARF-F-187, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Hammoudeh, S.M. & Yuan, Y. & McAleer, M.J. & Thompson, M.A., 2009. "Precious Metals-Exchange Rate Volatility Transmissions and Hedging Strategies," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2009-38, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Morales, Lucía & Andreosso-O'Callaghan, Bernadette, 2011. "Comparative analysis on the effects of the Asian and global financial crises on precious metal markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 203-227, June.
- Libo Yin & Liyan Han, 2013. "Exogenous Shocks and Information Transmission in Global Copper Futures Markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 33(8), pages 724-751, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colette Keleher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.