The International Monetary Fund and Regulatory Challenges
AbstractThe International Monetary Fund (IMF) plays a substantial regulatory role in the international monetary and financial system. The IMF has been assigned a formal regulatory role in a limited number of areas such as obligations covering exchange rate policies. The Fund has a broader informal regulatory role derived from the voluntary consent of its members such as in surveillance over members’ financial sector policies and international payments imbalances. The IMF’s regulatory role is unlike that of its member governments within their own jurisdictions. The Fund’s formal and informal regulation must be constantly nurtured and renewed via peer-review processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Peterson Institute for International Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number WP09-16.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
IMF; Articles of Agreement; regulation; Special Data Dissemination Standard (SDDS); General Data Dissemination System (GDDS); Bretton Woods; WTO; special drawing rights (SDR);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F53 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - International Agreements and Observance; International Organizations
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- P45 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - International Linkages
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Morris Goldstein, 2011. "Integrating Reform of Financial Regulation with Reform of the International Monetary System," Working Paper Series WP11-5, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.