Investigating Disaggregate East-West Trade Data: The Reshaping of the International Division of Labor
AbstractIn this paper we analyze annual trade data for Austria and Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) on a disaggregate level. Permanent structural changes in East-West trade turn out to be an important feature in the transition process. The considerable contribution of intra-industry trade to overall trade growth indicates smaller adjustment needs in Western Europe than suggested by earlier literature. Our results support the hypothesis that the Southern European Union members will be most strongly affected by competition from CEE exporters. In turn, the Union's reluctance to admit further members is likely to differ considerably across CEE applicants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Advanced Studies in its series East European Series with number 23.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: May 1995
Date of revision:
Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vasily Astrov, 2001. "Structure of Trade in Manufactured Products Between Southeast European Countries and the European Union," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 14, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kohl, Richard, 1998.
"The External Sector, the State and Development in Eastern Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1904, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kohl, Richard, 1998. "The External Sector, the State and Development in Eastern Europe," UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series qt22r0x8qk, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Daniela Grozea-Helmenstein & Andreas Wörgötter, 1999. "East-west intra-industry trade dynamics," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 332-346, June.
- repec:wii:bpaper:bowp:014 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.