Posterior Consistency in Conditional Density Estimation by Covariate Dependent Mixtures
AbstractThis paper considers Bayesian nonparametric estimation of conditional densities by countable mixtures of location-scale densities with covariate dependent mixing probabilities. The mixing probabilities are modeled in two ways. First, we consider finite covariate dependent mixture models, in which the mixing probabilities are proportional to a product of a constant and a kernel and a prior on the number of mixture components is specified. Second, we consider kernel stick-breaking processes for modeling the mixing probabilities. We show that the posterior in these two models is weakly and strongly consistent for a large class of data generating processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Advanced Studies in its series Economics Series with number 282.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Other versions of this item:
- Norets, Andriy & Pelenis, Justinas, 2014. "Posterior Consistency In Conditional Density Estimation By Covariate Dependent Mixtures," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(03), pages 606-646, June.
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Norets, Andriy & Pelenis, Justinas, 2012. "Bayesian modeling of joint and conditional distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 332-346.
- Debdeep Pati & David Dunson, 2014. "Bayesian nonparametric regression with varying residual density," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 66(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Pelenis, Justinas, 2012. "Bayesian Semiparametric Regression," Economics Series 285, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Villani, Mattias & Kohn, Robert & Nott, David J., 2012. "Generalized smooth finite mixtures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 171(2), pages 121-133.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.