Test for the null hypothesis of cointegration with reduced size distortion
AbstractThis paper considers a single equation cointegrating model and proposes the locally best invariant and unbiased (LBIU) test for the null hypothesis of cointegration. We derive the asymptotic local power functions and compare them with the standard residualbased test, and we show that the LBIU test is more powerful in a wide range of local alternatives. Then, we conduct a Monte Carlo simulation to investigate the nite sample properties of the tests and show that the LBIU test outperforms the residual-based test in terms of both size and power. The advantage of the LBIU test is particularly patent when the error is highly autocorrelated. Further, we point out that nite sample performance of existing tests is largely affected by the initial value condition while our tests are immune to it. We propose a simple transformation of data that resolves the problem in the existing tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number d06-190.
Date of creation: Nov 2006
Date of revision:
Cointegration; locally best test; point optimal test;
Other versions of this item:
- Eiji Kurozumi & Yoichi Arai, 2008. "Test for the null hypothesis of cointegration with reduced size distortion," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 476-500, 05.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-11-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-11-25 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hadri, Kaddour & Kurozumi, Eiji & Rao, Yao, 2013. "Novel Panel Cointegration Tests Emending for Cross-Section Dependence with N Fixed," Discussion Papers 2013-12, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.