Statistical Inference in Possibly Integrated/Cointegrated Vector Autoregressions: Application to Testing for Structural Changes
AbstractWe develop a new approach of statistical inference in possibly integrated/cointegrated vector autoregressions. Our method is built on the two previous approaches: the lag augmented approach by Toda and Yamamoto (1995) and the artificial autoregressions by Yamamoto (1996). We show that our estimator is asymptotically normally distributed irrespective of whether the variables are stationary or nonstationary, and that the Wald test statistic for the parameter restrictions has an asymptotic chi-square distribution. Using this method, we also propose to test for multiple structural changes. We show that our test statistics have the same limiting distributions as in the standard case, irrespective of whether the variables are stationary, purely integrated, or cointegrated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number gd11-187.
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
multiple breaks; stationary; unit root; cointegration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-05-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2011-05-24 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.