Inequality, Poverty And Mobility: Choosing Income Or Consumption As Welfare Indicators
Abstract. The literature on economic income disribution has largely debated the issue of which is the best indicator of individual welfare: income or consumption. The implications of the choice are not only a matter for theoretical discussion but are clearly very relevant when undertaking any empirical distributional analysis. The discussion has largely centred the debate on the implications of this choice on inequality and poverty statics while that on mobility and poverty dynamics is very scarce due, in many occassions, to the availability of consumption survey data in a longitudinal format. In this paper we analyse the effects of choosing income or consumption on household mobility and poverty dynamics using very detailed information on both household incomes and expenditures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Estudios Fiscales in its series Working Papers with number 18-04 Classification-JEL : D1, D31, I32..
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
income distribution; sensitivity analysis; expenditure; mobility; poverty dynamics; Spain.;
Other versions of this item:
- Carlos Gradín & Olga Cantó & Coral del Río, 2008. "Inequality, poverty and mobility: Choosing income or consumption as welfare indicators," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 32(2), pages 169-200, May.
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Terry Sicular & Yue Ximing & Björn Gustafsson & Li Shi, 2007.
"The Urban-Rural Income Gap And Inequality In China,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(1), pages 93-126, 03.
- Sicular, Terry & Yue, Ximing & Gustafsson, Bjorn & Li, Shi, 2006. "The Urban-Rural Income Gap and Inequality in China," Working Paper Series RP2006/135, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Luis Ayala & Carolina Navarro & Mercedes Sastre, 2011.
"Cross-country income mobility comparisons under panel attrition: the relevance of weighting schemes,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(25), pages 3495-3521.
- Luis Ayala & Carolina Navarro & Mercedes Sastre, . "Cross-Country Income Mobility Comparisons Under Panel Attrition: The Relevance Of Weighting Schemes," Working Papers 19-06 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Luis Ayala & Carolina Navarro & Mercedes Sastre, 2006. "Cross-Country Income Mobility Comparisons Under Panel Attrition: The Relevance of Weighting Schemes," Working Papers 47, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Luis Ayala & Olga Cantó & Juan G. Rodríguez, 2011. "Poverty and the business cycle: The role of the intra-household distribution of unemployment," Working Papers 222, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Núñez Velázquez, José Javier, 2009. "Estado actual y nuevas aproximaciones a la medición de la pobreza/Current Status and New Approaches to the Measurement of Poverty," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 325-346, Agosto.
- Maharjan, Keshav Lall & Joshi, Niraj Prakash, 2009.
"Relationship between Income-poverty and Food insecurity in Rural Far-western Mid-hills of Nepal,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
51462, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Maharjan, Keshav Lall & Joshi, Niraj Prakash, 2009. "Relationship between Income-poverty and Food insecurity in Rural Far-western Mid-hills of Nepal," MPRA Paper 35378, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Álvarez-Verdejo, Encarnación & Estudillo-Martínez, María Dolores & Castillo-Gutiérrez, Sonia, 2012. "Estimación de la función de distribución y cuantiles en la población de pobres/Estimation of the Distribution Function and Quantiles for the Population of Poor," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 1063 (26 pa, Diciembre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Cantó Sánchez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Olga Cantó Sánchez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.