Testing for Collusion in the Hong Kong Banking Sector
AbstractThis working paper examines the degree of collusion in the banking sector of Hong Kong based on the conjectural variation approach. The results suggest that banks in Hong Kong operated in a competitive fashion in the loan market during the period 1991-2002 with no significant sign of collusion on pricing. The market conduct was largely maintained in subsequent years, despite significant changes in the operating conditions. While major bank consolidations in 2001-2002 have resulted in fewer banks and thus a market more conducive to develop and maintain collusions, interest rate deregulations implemented around the same time has promoted a more competitive environment. The estimation results show that while banks do not appear to have exercised any collusive pricing in either the retail market or the corporate loan market, it is relatively less likely to develop oligopolistic collusions in the corporate loan market than in the local retail market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hong Kong Monetary Authority in its series Working Papers with number 0701.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 55th Floor, Two International Finance Centre, 8 Finance Street, Central
Web page: http://www.info.gov.hk/hkma/
More information through EDIRC
Conjectural variation; price; Hong Kong banking; market structure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-09-09 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2007-09-09 (Industrial Competition)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Chan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.