Strategic Management of Innovation and Patenting Performances
AbstractThis paper intends to contribute to the literature on the determinants of firms' patenting performances. In this respect it puts forward several new hypotheses related to the relationship between the strategic management of innovation and patenting performances. It relies on an original survey questionnaire on innovation competencies, innovation strategy and the perceived innovation barriers of 148 large firms in Belgium. The econometric results confirm several hypotheses already tested in the literature, including the positive impact of firm size, market concentration and technological opportunity. In addition, innovation strategy (e.g., product vs. process innovation; university partnership; the share of basic and applied research in total R&D), innovation competencies (e.g., ideas storage and codification; use of academic information), and barriers perception (e.g., internal barriers; risk/cost barriers) are all significant determinants of patenting performances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series IIR Working Paper with number 03-17.
Length: 28 p.
Date of creation: Sep 2003
Date of revision:
Innovation competencies; Innovation performances; Barriers to innovation; Patents;
Other versions of this item:
- Carine Peeters & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2003. "Strategic management of innovation and patenting performances," Working Papers CEB 04-007.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.