Voluntary Trade Restraints and Economic Welfare
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to examine the welfare implications of voluntary trade restraints in the context of duopoly with product differentiation. It is shown that, irrespective of whether firms compete in quantities or prices, a voluntary export restraint (VER) set at the free trade equilibrium level of foreign exports lowers domestic welfare if and only if it induces the foreign firm to comply voluntarily with the VER. We also examine the welfare implications of a voluntary import expansion (VIE), which is the import side counterpart of a VER. It is shown that the imposition of a VIE is at least as harmful as the imposition of a VER from the point of view of social welfare.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number a272.
Date of creation: Mar 1993
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- G. Calzolari & L. Lambertini, 2001.
"Export Restraints in a Model of Trade with Capital Accumulation,"
420, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Lambertini, Luca, 2007. "Export restraints in a model of trade with capital accumulation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3822-3842, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.