Steering the European transport greenhouse gas emissions under uncertainty
AbstractThis paper addresses how to regulate greenhouse gas emissions from the transport sector when abatement costs are uncertain. In an EU context, it is shown that a combination of a cap-and-trade system and emission taxes is preferable as it minimizes the expected efficiency loss. The optimal design will depend on the relative cost structure within and outside the transport sector. It is argued that the optimal regime for the transport sector has similarities, but is not identical to, a pure emissions tax.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI) in its series Working Papers with number 2008:4.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 06 May 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Note: Forthcoming in Journal of Transport Economics and Policy
Contact details of provider:
Postal: VTI, Transport Economics, P.O. Box 6056, SE-171 06 Solna, Sweden
Phone: +46-13-20 40 00
Fax: +46-13-14 14 36
Web page: http://www.vti.se/tek
More information through EDIRC
Transport; policy; climate change; tradable permits;
Other versions of this item:
- Svante Mandell, 2010. "Steering the European Transport Greenhouse Gas Emissions under Uncertainty," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 44(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2008-05-17 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2008-05-17 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mandell, Svante, 2010.
"Carbon Emission Values in Cost Benefit Analyses,"
2010:4, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mats Berggren).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.