Technology Upgrading, Exporting and Heterogeneous Firms
AbstractEmpirical evidence shows that R&D spending is highly correlated with firm productivity, highly concentrated among large firms, and responsive to trade liberalization. This paper develops a model of product upgrading with heterogeneous firms that captures these characteristics by allowing firms to choose their optimal level of fixed cost spending from a continuum. The endogenous component of fixed costs is assumed to represent R&D or product development that is spent once but reaps demand benefits over all the markets the firm serves. This mechanism encourages firms to export and capture economies of scale in fixed cost spending. The model makes two new predictions. The first prediction is that exporters upgrade while domestic firms cut costs when trade liberalizes. The second prediction is that the selection effect of trade liberalization is weaker in industries characterized by intense upgrading competition between firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm University, Department of Economics in its series Research Papers in Economics with number 2010:16.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 26 Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Stockholm, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 16 20 00
Fax: +46 8 16 14 25
Web page: http://www.ne.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
International Trade; Upgrading; Trade Liberalization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2010-11-06 (International Trade)
- NEP-TID-2010-11-06 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juan A. Máñez & María E. Rochina-Barrachina & Juan A. Sanchis-Llopis & Oscar Vicente, 2013. "Financial constraints and Spanish manufacturing firms’ R&D and exporting," Working Papers 1324, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sten Nyberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.