Hospitalers omkostninger, struktur og effektivitet. En undersøgelse af stordrifts- og samdriftsfordele i det danske sygehusvæsen
AbstractThe Danish hospital sector is facing a major restructuring over the coming decade that will involve hospital mergers and closures as well as construction of new hospitals. There is a clear trend towards fewer and larger hospitals. The evidence for economies of scale and scope underpinning these decisions is lacking, however. The present study applies a hybrid translog cost function to examine whether there are unexploited economies of scale and scope in the current configuration of the Danish hospital sector. Cross section data relating to Danish public hospitals in year 2004 were analyzed. Issues relating to hospital definition, hospital production, functional form, scale and scope testing were addressed. Stochastic frontier analysis and OLS-regression were used to examine sensitivity to the assumption of cost-minimization. Economies of scale and diseconomies of scope were identified in connection with hospital outputs in the largest hospitals (200+ beds). Furthermore, the assumption of cost-minimization had little influence on the results. Results for the smallest hospitals (less than 200 beds) showed economies of both scale and scope.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by COHERE - Centre of Health Economics Research, University of Southern Denmark in its series COHERE Working Paper with number 2008:11.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 23 Oct 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: COHERE - Center for Sundhedsøkonomisk Forskning, Institut for Virksomhedsledelse og Økonomi, Syddansk Universitet, Campusvej 55, DK-5230 Odense M, Denmark
Phone: (+45) 6550 3081
Fax: (+45) 6550 3880
Web page: http://www.sdu.dk/Om_SDU/Institutter_centre/cCohere
More information through EDIRC
Economies of scale; economies of scope; hospital cost function; cost function; hospital efficiency; translog.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- L38 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Policy
- L44 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Antitrust Policy and Public Enterprise, Nonprofit Institutions, and Professional Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-04 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Terkel Christiansen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.