Effects of Organizational Change on Firm Productivity
AbstractAn increasing use of IT facilitates firms to use more efficient organiza- tional forms. Significant reorganizations of business processes around IT capital can thereby boost productivity growth. The aim of this study is to empirically examine how …rm productivity growth is affected by orga- nizational changes and investments in IT using a Difference-in-Difference approach on a panel of Swedish firms over the years 1997-2005. The empirical results show a positive and significant effect on total factor pro- ductivity growth for firms that invested above median in IT and at the same time undertook organizational changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden) in its series Working Paper Series with number 230.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2009
Date of revision:
information technology; productivity; organizational change;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2009-08-22 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2009-08-22 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2009-08-22 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-KNM-2009-08-22 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2009-08-22 (Small Business Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Löfgren).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.