Effects of Productivity and Import on Firm-Level Export
AbstractThere are several studies that find a positive effect of productivity on firm-level export, but little is known about the role of import. This paper fills this gap by looking at the interaction between import and productivity in influencing exports. The main hypothesis is that imports stimulate learning, which in turn means that the productivity effect on export is greater for firms with previous import experience. To test this, I examine whether productivity increases the probability to engage in exports and for existing exporters total value of exports when firms have imported from a period before. Using data of Swedish manufacturing firms from 1997-2006,I find that imports enhance productivity in promoting firm’s exports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Ratio Institute in its series Ratio Working Papers with number 225.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 04 Dec 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Ratio Institute, P.O. Box 5095, SE-102 42 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: 08-441 59 00
Fax: 08-441 59 29
Web page: http://www.ratio.se/
More information through EDIRC
productivity; import; export; firm-level;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2013-12-15 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2013-12-15 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2013-12-15 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2013-12-15 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Korpi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.