Upscaling emerging niche technologies in sustainable energy: an international comparison of policy approaches
AbstractTo speed up the transformation to low-carbon energy systems, transition policy approaches highlight the importance of purposive experimentation with sustainable niche technologies. An important policy challenge that has followed from various ‘real’ transition experiments concerns the crucial issue of ‘upscaling’ or ‘aggregating’ the niche technologies towards broader and more widespread application in society. To address the question ‘which policy mix supports the upscaling of emergent niche technologies in a transition to sustainable energy systems?’ the paper adopts a comparative approach. Two successful cases where upscaling of emergent technology niches has taken place are contrasted with an unsuccesful fail case. The success cases entail the emergence and diffusion of bioenergy and biofuels in Sweden as well as windpower in Denmark whereas the fail case consists of biofuels in the Netherlands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy in its series CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers with number 2010/17.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 20 Jan 2011
Date of revision:
sustainability transitions; niche technologies; technological innovation systems;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-01-30 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2011-01-30 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gosens, Jorrit & Lu, Yonglong & Coenen , Lars, 2013. "Clean-tech Innovation in Emerging Economies: Transnational Dimensions in Technological Innovation System Formation," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/10, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cristina Chaminade).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.