Pricing-to-Market in Swedish Exports
AbstractIn this paper fluctuations in prices of Swedish exports to five countries are investigated in order to test whether there are systematic differences between prices to different markets and whether relative export prices are systematically affected by macroeconomic conditions in destination countries. Simple correlations suggest that relative export prices are related to real exchange rates, but also to nominal exchange rates. Formal tests, based on an error-correction model, indicate that the deviations from no pricing-to-market and neutrality of money are quite common and persistent. Over a sample of 15 years, long run monetary neutrality is rejected in almost half of the cases. In most cases, the degree of pricing-to-market is also affected by aggregate demand (unemployment) in export markets.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 146.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Dec 1996
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
export prices; exchange rates; pricing-to-market; neutrality of money; exchange-rate pass-through;
Other versions of this item:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Leitemo, Kai & Söderström, Ulf, 2001.
"Simple Monetary Policy Rules and Exchange Rate Uncertainty,"
Working Paper Series
122, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Leitemo, Kai & Soderstrom, Ulf, 2005. "Simple monetary policy rules and exchange rate uncertainty," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 481-507, April.
- Kai Leitemo & Ulf Soderstrom, 2001. "Simple monetary policy rules and exchange rate uncertainty," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001.
"Monetary Policy with Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
Working Paper Series
127, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001. "Monetary Policy with Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 476, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Mallick, Sushanta & Marques, Helena, 2012. "Pricing to market with trade liberalization: The role of market heterogeneity and product differentiation in India’s exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 310-336.
- Alessio Emanuele BIONDO, 2010. "The Law of One Price: Survey of a Failure," Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 168 - 182, December.
- Gottfries, Nils, 1999.
"Markets Shares, Financial Constraints, and Pricing Behavior in the Export Market,"
Working Paper Series
1999:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Gottfries, Nils, 2002. "Market Shares, Financial Constraints and Pricing Behaviour in the Export Market," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(276), pages 583-607, November.
- Gottfries, N., 1999. "Market Shares, Financial Constraints, and Pricing Behavior in the Export Market," Papers 1999:15, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Friberg, Richard, 1997. "Should the core fear the outs? Price setting practices and international monetary transmission," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 203, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Adolfson, Malin, 1999.
"Swedish Export Price Determination: Pricing to Market Shares?,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
306, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Adolfson, Malin, 1999. "Swedish Export Price Determination: Pricing to Market Shares?," Working Paper Series 96, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Tantirigama, Mangalika & Lee, Minsoo & Sanyal, Amal, 2008. "New Zealand's Pastoral Exports: Can Small Countries Practise Pricing-to-Market?," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 4(1-2).
- Bowe, Michael & Saltvedt, Thina M., 2004. "Currency invoicing practices, exchange rate volatility and pricing-to-market: evidence from product level data," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 281-308, June.
- Anderton, Robert, 2003. "Extra-euro area manufacturing import prices and exchange rate pass-through," Working Paper Series 0219, European Central Bank.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001. "Export price responses to exogenous exchange rate movements," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 91-96, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.