Effects on Swedish Investment and Growth of Membership in the European Union
AbstractThe first part of the present paper summarizes the Swedish government's official assessment of the economic effects of membership in the European Union (SOU 1994:6, Sverige och Europa: En samhallsekonomisk konsekvensanalys.) The summary is intended as an objective review of the Swedish impact assessment, and focuses on the assessment's analysis of the effects of integration on investment and growth. The assessment concludes that membership will allow increases in Swedish investment ratios and growth rates, and these effects are identified as the most important positive consequences of membership in the EU. The second part of the paper provides a critical discussion of the assessment's analysis of the investment and growth effects. It is argued that some of the assessment's conclusions regarding increases in investment ratios and growth rates are disputable from the point of view of academic economics. More specifically, we lack both the theoretical understanding and the empirical data to make precise predictions about the effects of EU membership on Swedish investment and growth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 15.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: May 1994
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The World Economy, 1994, pages 667-677
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
EU; Sweden; integration; investment; growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.