How Important is Export-Platform FDI? : Evidence from Multinational Activities in Poland
AbstractThis paper investigates the link between export performance and multinational enterprise presence utilizing trade and industry data for Polish manufacturing industries for the years 1994-2002. Decomposing trade into final and intermediate goods and assessing the impact of foreign-owned capital on the respective export performance of Polish industries, we suggest a significant role of export-platform FDI into Poland, while the importance of FDI for vertical integration is limited suggesting that the sourcing of intermediate goods from Poland primarily occurs through arm’s-length contractual outsourcing instead of in-house sourcing of multinational enterprises. The paper also suggests that over the sample period, where Poland has evolved into a relatively stable economic environment, the role of export-platform FDI has increased significantly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 08-28.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Aarhus School of Business, Prismet, Silkeborgvej 2, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Phone: +45 89 486396
Fax: +45 8615 5175
Web page: http://www.asb.dk/departments/nat.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Export-platform FDI; Vertically integrated multinational enterprises; Export performance; Poland; Contractual outsourcing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-05-09 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INT-2009-05-09 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2009-05-09 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Park, Innwon & Park, Soonchan, 2010. "Modes of foreign direct investment and patterns of trade: Why do multinational enterprises come To China?," MPRA Paper 26679, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.