Human Development in Africa
AbstractHuman development (HD), a process designed to enhance human lives directly, is contrasted with economic development, which entails the expansion of material things intended to fulfill human needs. Human development empowers people to participate in the improvement of their own well-being. The paper looks at the record of HD in Africa over the period 1970-2005, using half-decadal data derived from United Nations sources and national statistical bureaus. It is found that over the period analyzed, the human development index improved in all African countries except in Zambia, where it declined, due to unfavorable terms of trade and to persistent health and governance problems, among challenges. Nonetheless, despite this progress, African countries continue to lag behind other regions of the world in HD. There has been little advance on the economic development front, where growth plummeted in most African countries, impoverishing nearly 50 per cent of the population. Towards the end of the 1990s, however, African economies began to recover due mainly to reforms in governance and distributive systems, and in mechanisms to protect people against downside risks, including disease pandemics, political instabilities, droughts and adverse terms of trade. The paper argues for a continuation of reforms in order to further improve economic and human development outcomes on the continent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in its series Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) with number HDRP-2010-08.
Length: 60 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as background research for the 2010 Human Development Report.
Human development; poverty; political and economic governance; Africa;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- I0 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- Y1 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Data: Tables and Charts
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-06-26 (Development)
- NEP-HAP-2010-06-26 (Economics of Happiness)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2011.
"Human Development in Africa: A Long-run Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2013. "Human development in Africa: A long-run perspective," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-204.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2011. "Human development in Africa : a long-run perspective," Working Papers in Economic History wp11-09, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2011. "Human Development in Africa: A Long-Run Perspective," Working Papers 0008, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & Srijit Mishra, 2010.
"Progress in human development: Are we on the right path?,"
International Journal of Economic Policy in Emerging Economies,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(3), pages 199-221.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & Srijit Mishra, 2010. "Progress in human development: Are we on the right path?," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2010-010, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & Srijit Mishra, 2010. "Progress in Human Development - Are we on the right path?," Development Economics Working Papers 23019, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Fosu, Augustin Kwasi, 2012. "Development Success: Historical Accounts from More Advanced Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HDRO/UNDP).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.