Regional Geographic R&D Spillovers and Economic Growth
AbstractThe paper bases itself on recent theoretical writings in growth economics that emphasize the effects of both own R&D efforts and of interregional technology spillovers on regions´ productivity. We propose robust estimation techniques to evaluate the R&D spillovers across West German functional regions during the period 1976 - 1996. The findings suggest the existence of knowledge spillovers across functional regional boundaries. Moreover, significant spillovers are mainly found among geographically close regions. This finding confirms the hypothesis that proximity matters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hamburg University, Department of Economics in its series Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers with number 20007.
Date of creation: Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Von-Melle-Park 5 D-20146 Hamburg
Phone: : +49 (0)40 42838-4674
Fax: +49 (0)40 42838-5546
Web page: http://www.uni-hamburg.de/onTEAM/grafik/1223630633/RePec/ham
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Bräuninger & Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2008.
"Agglomeration, Spatial Interaction and Convergence in the EU,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 128(3), pages 329-349.
- Bräuninger, Michael & Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2005. "Agglomeration, Spatial Interaction and Convergence in the EU," HWWA Discussion Papers 322, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Wen-Cheng Lu & Jong-Rong Chen & Chia-Ling Wang, 2006. "Granger causality test on R&D spatial spillovers and productivity growth," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(13), pages 857-861.
- Michael Bräuninger & Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2005. "Convergence, Spatial Interaction and Agglomeration Effects in the EU," ERSA conference papers ersa05p528, European Regional Science Association.
- OA. Carboni, 2012.
"A Spatial Analysis of R&D: the Role of Industry Proximity,"
Working Paper CRENoS
201204, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Oliviero A. Carboni, 2013. "A spatial analysis of R&D: the role of industry proximity," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(8), pages 820-839, November.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 2001. "Externalities and local economic growth in manufacturing industries," Working Paper CRENoS 200113, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & Cornet, M., 2001. "How far do They Reach? The Localization of Industrial and Academic Knowledge Spillovers in the Netherlands," Discussion Paper 2001-47, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Barrios García, J.A. & Morales González, B., 2009. "Forma de tenencia de la vivienda y nivel educativo de los hijos en España: Evidencia microeconométrica/," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 287 (30 PÃ¡, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.