Technological vs ecological switch and the environmental Kuznets curve
AbstractWe consider an optimal technology adoption AK model in line with Boucekkine Krawczyk and Vallée (2011): an economy, caring about consumption and pollution as well, starts with a given technological regime and may decide to switch at any moment to a cleaner technology at a given permanent or transitory output cost. At the same time, we posit that there exists a pollution threshold above which the assimilation capacity of Nature goes down, featuring a kind of irreversible ecological regime. We study how ecological irreversibility interacts with the ingredients of the latter optimal technological switch problem, with a special attention to induced capital-pollution relationship. We find that if a single technological switch is optimal, one recovers the Environmental Kuznets Curve provided initial pollution is high enough. If exceeding the ecological threshold is optimal, then the latter configuration is far from being the rule.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00633024.
Date of creation: 17 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00633024/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Technology adoption; ecological irreversibility; Environmental Kuznets Curve; Multi-stage optimal control;
Other versions of this item:
- Raouf Boucekkine & Aude Pommeret & Fabien Prieur, 2013. "Technological vs. Ecological Switch and the Environmental Kuznets Curve," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 95(2), pages 252-260.
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-11-01 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2011-11-01 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daria Onori, 2013. "Optimal Growth under Flow-Based Collaterals," AMSE Working Papers 1331, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 21 May 2013.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Blanca Martinez & Ramon Ruiz-Tamarit, 2013.
"Optimal Sustainable Policies under Pollution Ceiling: The Demographic Side,"
AMSE Working Papers
1354, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 04 Nov 2013.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Blanca Martínez & Ramon Ruiz-Tamarit, 2014. "Optimal Sustainable Policies under Pollution Ceiling: The Demographic Side," Working Papers halshs-00880238, HAL.
- Raouf BOUCEKKINE & Blanca MARTINEZ & José Ramon RUIZ-TAMARIT, 2013. "Optimal sustainable policies under pollution ceiling: the demographic side," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2013028, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Raouf Boucekkine & Aude Pommeret & Fabien Prieur, 2012.
"Optimal Regime Switching and Threshold Effects. Theory and Application to a Resource Extraction Problem under Irreversibility,"
AMSE Working Papers
1213, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Aude Pommeret & Fabien Prieur, 2012. "Optimal Regime Switching and Threshold Effects: Theory and Application to a Resource Extraction Problem under Irreversibility," Working Papers halshs-00793200, HAL.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Aude Pommeret & Fabien Prieur, 2012. "Optimal regime switching and threshold effects: theory and application to a resource extraction problem under irreversibility," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 12.02, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Aude Pommeret & Fabien Prieur, 2012. "Optimal Regime Switching and Threshold Effects: Theory and Application to a Resource Extraction Problem under Irreversibility," Working Papers 12-14, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised May 2012.
- Ngo Van Long & Fabien Prieur & Klarizze Puzon & Mabel Tidball, 2013. "Markov Perfect Equilibria in Differential Games with Regime Switching Strategies," Working Papers 13-06, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jan 2014.
- Daria Onori, 2013. "Optimal Growth under Flow-Based Collaterals," Working Papers halshs-00824672, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.