Offshoring and export performance in the european automotive industry
AbstractThis paper investigates the impact of offshoring on export performances of French, German and Italian automotive firms. We argue that the different offshoring strategies run by the main European automakers are responsible for the discrepancies in export performances of France, Germany and Italy on the world automotive market. We use an export equation and a panel data analysis and show that offshoring strongly affect exports of automotive firms. Focussing on the French and German export performances, we show that the relatively low export performance of France in the automotive industry since the end of the 1990s is mainly the result of an increase in offshoring lead by Renault and PSA.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number hal-00637603.
Date of creation: 24 Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00637603/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Offshoring; export performance; automotive industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Raphaël Chiappini, 2011. "Offshoring and export performance in the european automotive industry," Larefi Working Papers 1104, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- C26 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Instrumental Variables (IV) Estimation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-11-14 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2011-11-14 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-EUR-2011-11-14 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INT-2011-11-14 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statistics
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.