Are City Logistics Solutions Sustainable? The Cityporto case
AbstractUrban logistics is a field that studies the best solutions for urban freight distribution with high environmental objectives. However, most actions are started by public authorities without taking into account the impacts of the new organizational schemas in the existing distribution enterprises' organization. This paper sets out to show that urban logistics approaches are currently important with reference to the noise and pollution in city center. To this end, we present the success experience of Cityporto (Padoua) in Italy. Cityporto is a service which makes deliveries in city centre by using GPL and electric lorries. So, the service is considered as less polluting as a conventional approach. In this context, it allows a delivery at any time of the day, also in the Limited Traffic Zone which is closed at certain hours of the day. This is based on the findings from an exploratory qualitative approach. Documentary analysis several interviews have be made. These concern three internal stakeholders of Interporto di Padova (the company which manages the intermodal platform of Padova, in charge of Cityporto) and one member of Padova's Municipality (which promote the project). The results of this case study show that environmental aspect is one of the foundations of the project, but the economic continuity has to be first ensured. Indeed, the preservation of this service on the long term is subjected to its solvency. Moreover, its success is associated to the recognition by employees, and also customers. With regard to the collected information, it is possible to propose a balanced scorecard, where three axes emerged in connexion with economic, environmental and social dimensions. The paper makes a contribution to the evaluation and measurement of city urban logistics using a success story that has been developed from the practitioner perspective. This experience could provide a basis for further practices in Italy and other European countries. In conclusion, the proposed case study is presented for its academic, policy and managerial implications. This experience conceptualises city logistics in relation with the Sustainable Development, setting the main objectives and steps of urban planning for freight distribution and logistics issues. But above all, it provides an understanding of the key success factors in a green transport organisation which can become a pivotal position in the upstream supply chain. De facto, the study should facilitate the implementation of green urban logistics taking into account the importance of the project's economic continuity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00530016.
Date of creation: 03 Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, TeMA - Trimestrale del Laboratorio Territorio Mobilità Ambiente, 2010, 3, 2, 55-64
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00530016/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
City logistics; sustainability; case study; qualitative research; management;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Ambrosini & Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Florence Toilier, 2013. "A design methodology for scenario-analysis in urban freight modelling," Post-Print halshs-00843286, HAL.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Joelle Morana & Josep-Maria Salanova Grau & Tai-Yu Ma, 2013. "Design and scenario assessment for collaborative logistics and freight transport systems," Post-Print halshs-00844705, HAL.
- Danielis, Romeo & Maggi, Elena & Rotaris, Lucia & Valeri, Eva, 2012. "Urban supply chains and transportation policies," Working Papers 1207, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica, revised 2012.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Josep-Maria Salanova Grau & Joelle Morana & Evangelos Mitsakis, 2013. "Urban logistics pooling viability analysis via a multicriteria multiactor method," Post-Print halshs-00758238, HAL.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu, 2012. "Cost optimisation in freight distribution with cross-docking: N-echelon location routing problem," Post-Print halshs-00565329, HAL.
- Bruno Durand & Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu, 2012. "Impacts of Proximity Deliveries on e-Grocery Trips," Post-Print halshs-00795425, HAL.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Pierre Basck & Eleonora Morganti, 2013. "Urban logistics solutions and financing mechanisms: a scenario assessment analysis," Post-Print halshs-00843282, HAL.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Pierre Basck & Eleonora Morganti, 2013. "Urban logistics solutions and financing mechanisms: a scenario assessment analysis," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 54, pages 11.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Bruno Faivre D'Arcier & Nerea Rojas & Pierre Basck & Mathieu Gardrat & Christian Ambrosini & Gilles Vernoux & Garoa Lekuona & Fernando Zubillaga, 2013. "FREILOT. Urban Freight Energy Efficiency Pilot. D.FL.6.4. Cost-benefit analysis," Working Papers halshs-00818832, HAL.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Nicolas Malhéné & Eleonora Morganti & Anna Trentini, 2013. "Développement des espaces logistiques urbains. CDU et ELP dans l'europe du sud-ouest," Working Papers halshs-00862009, HAL.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00758238 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anna Trentini & Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Nicolas Malhéné, 2011. "Développement des espaces logistiques Urbains: CDU et ELP dans l'Europe du Sud-Ouest," Working Papers halshs-00818718, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.