Re-hypotecation of securities
AbstractBy introducing repro markets we understand how agents need to borrow issued securities before shorting them : (re)-hypothecation is at the heart of shorting. Non-negative amounts of securities in the box of an agent (amounts borrowed or owned but not lent on) can be sold, and recursive use of securities as collateral allows agents to leverage their positions. A binding box constraint induces a liquidity premium : the repro rate becomes special, the security price higher than expected discounted cash-flows. Existence of equilibrium is granted under limited re-hypothecation, a situation secured by (current or proposed) institutional arrangements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00476004.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00476004
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Re-hypothecation; repro; box; leverage; repo collateral multiplier; short sale; issuing; collateral; pledge; specialness; equilibrium security pricing.;
Other versions of this item:
- Jean-Marc Bottazzi & Jaime Luque & Mário Páscoa, 2010. "Re-hypothecation of securities," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10025, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-02 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.