Roots and features of researches about tourist economy (In French)
AbstractOf an economic approach of the tourism, made by applications of the instruments of the economist for this new field of investigation, we are gradually spent in a research on a tourist economy based on the specificities of this last one : Its temporal dimension (saisonnality of the activities, variation of the prices, market’s deformations); its spatial economic dimension (transfer of consumptions, incomes, employments, mobility of capital); its micro economic dimension (creation of a tourism’s product – assembly of ill-assorted services-, marketing by package price, imperfect competition, barriers in the entry). More recently it is its registration in yard of savings services societies and its potential of innovations which were revealed. Research in touristic economy needs rigour, coherence to progress in a world of uncertainties; It must necessarily explain, in other words to answer the question: how? While referring to the economists, for many users, the models can help there. But this research, by its characteristics, cannot be satisfied some, because it must aim also to help to understand, in other words to answer the question: why? Try to answer it, widens the field of the approaches possible and joined multidisciplinarity: It is necessary that tourist economy considers that the tourist is not only a consumer of tourism and the Tour operator a producer of services, but that they are, one and the other, consumer and producer of meaning. The force and the difficulty in interpreting this meaning also lie in culture, history, space and its organization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales in its series Cahiers du GRES with number 2005-10.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Services assembling; Economy of tourism; Tourist economy; Tourist multiplier; Tourist product; Tourist system;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A12 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Other Disciplines
- A13 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Social Values
- B29 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Other
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- Q26 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Recreational Aspects of Natural Resources
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.