A Market-Oriented Strategy for Small and Medium Scale Enterprises
AbstractThis paper investigates the economic rationale for intervention in support of small- and medium-scale enterprises, on both theoretical and empirical grounds. It argues that the justification for SME interventions lies in market and institutional failures that bias the size distribution of firms, rather than on any inherent economic benefits provided by small firms.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Bank - International Finance Corporation in its series Papers with number 40.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The World Bank; International Finance Corporation, 1818 H Street, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20433, U.S.A.
Phone: 1 (202) 477-1234
Fax: 1 (202) 974-4384
Web page: http://www.ifc.org/
More information through EDIRC
SIZE OF ENTERPRISE ; MARKET STRUCTURE;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goldberg , Mike & Palladini, Eric, 2008. "Chile : a strategy to promote innovative small and medium enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4518, The World Bank.
- Mohini Malhotra & Yanni Chen & Alberto Criscuolo & Qimiao Fan & Iva lIieva Hamel & Yevgeniya Savchenko, 2007. "Expanding Access to Finance : Good Practices and Policies for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6621, March.
- Zoltan J. Acs, 2006.
"State of literature on small to medium-size enterprises and entrepreneurship in low-income communities,"
Proceedings: Community Affairs Dept. Conferences,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Jul, pages 21-54.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Kadri Kallas, 2007. "State of Literature on Small to Medium-Size Enterprises and Entrepreneurship in Low-Income Communities," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2007-03, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Harvie, Charles & Lee, Hyun-Hoon, 2002. "New Regionalism in East Asia: How Does It Relate to the East Asian Economic Development Model?," Economics Working Papers wp02-10, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Máximo Torero & Miguel Robles & Manuel Hernández & Jorge de la Roca & Maureen Webber & Desmond Thomas, 2006. "The Informal Sector in Jamaica," IDB Publications 21978, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Harvie, Charles & Lee, Boon-Chye, 2003. "Public Policy and Small and Medium Enterprise Development," Economics Working Papers wp03-18, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Powell, Gary N. & Eddleston, Kimberly A., 2013. "Linking family-to-business enrichment and support to entrepreneurial success: Do female and male entrepreneurs experience different outcomes?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 261-280.
- Mirjam Schiffer & Beatrice Weder, 2001. "Firm Size and the Business Environment : Worldwide Survey Results," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13988, March.
- World Bank, 2004. "Chile : A Strategy to Promote Innovative Small and Medium Enterprises," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14352, The World Bank.
- Olsen, Jane & Lee, Boon-Chye & Hodgkinson, Ann, 2006. "Innovation in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: A Study of Businesses in New South Wales, Australia," Economics Working Papers wp06-04, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Harvie, Charles, 2004. "East Asian SME Capacity Building, Competitiveness and Market Opportunities in a Global Economy," Economics Working Papers wp04-16, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- World Bank, 2005. "Colombia : Country Economic Memorandum, The Foundations for Competitiveness," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8807, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.