Brands, Information, and Loyalty
AbstractThe new decade has been called "the age of information." We show that, although information has become more accessible, the increase in the variety of products has made consumers' choices complex and uncertain. Faced with uncertainty about products' attributes offered by "umbrella brands," consumers rely on cues, such as the overall "image" of the brands. Using data on television viewing choices, we show that the effect of these "brand images" on product choices is stronger than the effect of the products' attributes. Furthermore, we demonstrate that the lack of information contributes to observed brand loyalty more than the oft-discussed "emotional attachment" to brands.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tel Aviv in its series Papers with number 2000-16.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Israel TEL-AVIV UNIVERSITY, THE FOERDER INSTITUTE FOR ECONOMIC RESEARCH, RAMAT AVIV 69 978 TEL AVIV ISRAEL.
Web page: http://econ.tau.ac.il/research/foerder.asp
More information through EDIRC
INFORMATION ; TELEVISION ; NETWORK ANALYSIS;
Other versions of this item:JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.