A Market-Based Evaluation of Discretionary-Accrual Models
AbstractConsiderable research in accounting focuses on the role of accruals in capital market valuation and in contracting. The research shows accruals enable managers to improve on cash flows as a mesure of firm performance. However, since accruals provide managers with a means of managing reportedearnings, previous research also documents evidence of opportunistic accrual management. Opportunistic accruals are estimated using discretionary-accrual models that seek to separate earnings into discretionary accruals and nondiscretionary earnings.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies in its series Papers with number 96-01.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER, WILLIAM E. SIMON GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION, Bradley Policy Research Center, ROCHESTER NEW YORK 14627 U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.simon.rochester.edu/
More information through EDIRC
CAPITAL MARKET ; CONTRACTS ; ACCOUNTING ; MANAGERS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pornsit Jiraporn, 2005. "An empirical analysis of corporate takeover defences and earnings management: evidence from the US," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5), pages 293-303.
- Yan Xiong & Haiyan Zhou & Sanjay Varshney, 2010. "The economic profitability of pre-IPO earnings management and IPO underperformance," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 229-256, July.
- W. M. McInnes, 2002. "An agency perspective on the accounting costs used in various roles in the regulation of a state-owned natural monopoly: The British Gas Corporation 1972-86," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 387-418.
- Dichev, Ilia D. & Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R. & Rajgopal, Shiva, 2013. "Earnings quality: Evidence from the field," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 1-33.
- José A. C. Moreira & Peter F. Pope, 2007. "Piecewise Linear Accrual Models: do they really control for the asymmetric recognition of gains and losses?," CEF.UP Working Papers 0703, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Réal Labelle & Rim Makni Gargouri & Claude Francoeur, 2010. "Ethics, Diversity Management, and Financial Reporting Quality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 335-353, May.
- Jinhan Pae, 2005. "Expected Accrual Models: The Impact of Operating Cash Flows and Reversals of Accruals," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 5-22, January.
- Yves Mard, 2005. "Vers Une Information Comptable Plus Transparente : L'Apport Des Recherches Portant Sur La Gestion Des Résultats Comptables," Post-Print halshs-00581229, HAL.
- Wu, Ruei-Shian, 2014. "Predicting earnings management: A nonlinear approach," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 1-25.
- Aida Boudabbous Gassara & Ezzeddine Abaoub, 2007. "La Gestion Des Resultats Lors Des Introductions En Bourse Est Elle Informative ?," Post-Print halshs-00543206, HAL.
- Hamadi Matoussi & Ben Hamadi Samia & Oussama Baklouti Mohamed, 2006. "Desagregation Des Accruals Discretionnaires Et Pertinence Du Benefice Comptable," Post-Print halshs-00558044, HAL.
- Datta, Sudip & Iskandar-Datta, Mai & Singh, Vivek, 2014. "Opaque financial reports and R2: Revisited," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 10-17.
- Hardjo Koerniadi & Alireza Tourani-Rad, 2007. "Accrual or Cash Flow Anomaly? Evidence from New Zealand," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(1), pages 21-36, May.
- José António Moreira & Peter F. Pope, 2006. "Unequal Impact of Conservatism on Accrual Measures and Drivers: Implications for the Specification of Accrual Models," CEF.UP Working Papers 0604, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Armstrong, Christopher S. & Balakrishnan, Karthik & Cohen, Daniel, 2012. "Corporate governance and the information environment: Evidence from state antitakeover laws," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 185-204.
- Tom Van Caneghem, 2004. "The impact of audit quality on earnings rounding-up behaviour: some UK evidence," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 771-786.
- Dimitrios D. Thomakos & George Papanastasopoulos & Tao Wang, 2007. "The Implications of Retained and Distributed Earnings for Future Profitability and Market Mispricing," Working Paper Series 46-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Juan Monterrey & Amparo Sánchez-Segura, 2006. "Las características socioeconómicas como incentivos para la información financiera: evidencia empírica española," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 30(3), pages 611-634, September.
- Bikki Jaggi & Chen-lung Chin & Hsiou-wei William Lin & Picheng Lee, 2006. "Earnings forecast disclosure regulation and earnings management: evidence from Taiwan IPO firms," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 275-299, May.
- Rick Antle & Elizabeth Gordon & Ganapathi Narayanamoorthy & Ling Zhou, 2002. "The Joint Determination of Audit Fees, Non-Audit Fees, and Abnormal Accruals," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2502, Yale School of Management, revised 02 May 2006.
- Paul Mather & Alan Ramsay, 2006. "The Effects of Board Characteristics on Earnings Management around Australian CEO Changes," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 78-93, September.
- Jeffrey Gramlich & Ole S�rensen, 2004. "Voluntary management earnings forecasts and discretionary accruals: evidence from Danish IPOs," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 235-259.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.