Problems with Relational Loss Valuation
AbstractIn serious personal injury and death cases, courts may allow an award for that component of nonpecuniary losses variously referred to as "companionship", "society", "emotional services", or consortium." I wiil hereafter refer to this kind of loss as a "loss of society.The purpose of this short paper is twofold: (1) to consider briefly whether it is desirable and possible in terms of economic theory to compensate the loss of society, and (2) TO assess the specific methodologies of the three papers in this section, each of which presents a different method for assigning a dollar value to it.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics in its series Papers with number 4-96-1.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, UNIVERSITY PARK PENNSYLVANIA 16802 U.S.A.
Web page: http://econ.la.psu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B10 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - General
- B00 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - General - - - History of Economic Thought, Methodology, and Heterodox Approaches
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.