Multifactor Models Do Not Explain Deviations From the CAPM (Revised: 21-94)
AbstractEvidence of deviations from the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM) has accumulated over the past decades. The source of these deviations is often assumed to be missing risk factors, leading researchers to look to multifactor asset pricing models as alternatives. The analysis in this paper suggests that consideration of different alternatives may be fruitful, since existing evidence against the CAPM is also evidence against multifactor alternatives being the whole story. Data-snooping biases, market failure, or market inefficiencies are more likely explanations for the deviations. The framework creates for the analysis provides additional insights. These insights relate to the role of residual risk in explaining the cross-section of expected asset returns and to the formation of prior distributions for Bayesian analysis of portfolio efficiency.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research in its series Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers with number 15-93.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3254 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6367
Phone: (215) 898-7616
Fax: (215) 573-8084
Web page: http://finance.wharton.upenn.edu/~rlwctr/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Y. Campbell, 1993.
"Understanding Risk and Return,"
NBER Working Papers
4554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell, 1995. "Understanding Risk and Return," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1711, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Campbell, John, 1996. "Understanding Risk and Return," Scholarly Articles 3153293, Harvard University Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.