Efficient Semiparametric Estimation in Stochastic Frontier Model
AbstractThis paper considers the semiparametric stochastic frontier model with panel data which arises in the problem of measuring technical inefficiency in production processes. We assume a parametric form for the frontier function, which is linear in production inputs. The density of the individual firm-specific effects is considered unknown. We construct an efficient estimator of the slope parameters in the frontier function . We also give an estimator of the level of the frontier function and its asymptotic properties are investigated. Furthermore, we provide a predictor of the individual effects which can be directly translated to firm-specific technical inefficiencies. Finally, we illustrate our methods through a real data example.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique in its series Papers with number 9201.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universite Catholique de Louvain, Institut de Statistique, Voie du Roman Pays, 34 B-1348 Louvain- La-Neuve, Belgique.
evaluation ; econometrics;
Other versions of this item:
- PARK, Byeong & SIMAR, Léopold, 1992. "Efficient semiparametric estimation in stochastic frontier model," CORE Discussion Papers 1992013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Griffin, J. E. & Steel, M. F. J., 2004.
"Semiparametric Bayesian inference for stochastic frontier models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 121-152, November.
- Jim E. Griffin & Mark F.J. Steel, 2002. "Semiparametric Bayesian Inference for Stochastic Frontier Models," Econometrics 0209001, EconWPA, revised 18 Sep 2002.
- Tai-Hsin Huang & Tong-Liang Kao, 2006. "Joint estimation of technical efficiency and production risk for multi-output banks under a panel data cost frontier model," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 87-102, August.
- Bekker, Paul A., 2002. "Exact inference for the linear model with groupwise heteroscedastic spherical disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 285-302, December.
- William C. Horrace & Peter Schmidt, 2000. "Multiple comparisons with the best, with economic applications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 1-26.
- Panutat Satchachai & Peter Schmidt, 2010. "Estimates of technical inefficiency in stochastic frontier models with panel data: generalized panel jackknife estimation," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 83-97, October.
- Taoufik Bouezmarni & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2006.
"Nonparametric Density Estimation for Positive Time Series,"
Cahiers de recherche
06-09, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Bouezmarni, Taoufik & Rombouts, Jeroen V.K., 2010. "Nonparametric density estimation for positive time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 245-261, February.
- BOUEZMARNI, Taoufik & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V. K., 2006. "Nonparametric density estimation for positive time series," CORE Discussion Papers 2006085, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- William C. Horrace & Peter Schmidt, 2002. "Confidence Statements for Efficiency Estimates from Stochastic Frontier Models," Econometrics 0206006, EconWPA.
- Byeong Park & Seuck Song, 2007. "Comments on: Panel data analysis—advantages and challenges," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 47-51, May.
- Myungsup Kim & Yangseon Kim & Peter Schmidt, 2007.
"On the accuracy of bootstrap confidence intervals for efficiency levels in stochastic frontier models with panel data,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 165-181, December.
- Myungsup Kim & Yangseon Kim & Peter Schmidt, 2006. "On the Accuracy of Bootstrap Confidence Intervals for Efficiency Levels in Stochastic Frontier Models with Panel Data," Working Papers 0704, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Park, Byeong U. & Sickles, Robin C. & Simar, Leopold, 2003.
"Semiparametric-efficient estimation of AR(1) panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 279-309, December.
- Park, B.U. & Sickles, R.C. & Simar, L., 2000. "Semiparametric Efficient Estimation of AR(1) Panel Data Models," Papers 0020, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Byeong Park & Robin C. Sickles & Leopold Simar, 2000. "Semiparametric Efficient Estimation of AR(1) Panel Data Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1510, Econometric Society.
- Park, Byeong U. & Sickles, Robin C. & Simar, Leopold, 2007.
"Semiparametric efficient estimation of dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 281-301, January.
- Byeong U. Park & Robin C Sickles & Léopold Simar, 2002. "Semi parametric efficient estimation of dynamic panel data models," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 C6-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Fraser, Iain & Horrace, William C., 2002.
"Technical Efficiency of Australian Wool Production: Point and Confidence Interval Estimates,"
2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra
125084, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- I. Fraser & W. Horrace, 2003. "Technical Efficiency of Australian Wool Production: Point and Confidence Interval Estimates," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 169-190, September.
- Iain Fraser & William C. Horrace, 2002. "Technical Efficiency of Australian Wool Production: Point and Confidence Interval Estimates," Public Economics 0206001, EconWPA, revised 11 May 2003.
- Gholamreza Hajargasht, 2003. "Semiparametric Estimation of Stochastic Frontiers A Bayesian Penalized Approach," CEPA Working Papers Series WP042003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Paul A. Bekker & E. C. Leertouwer, 2000. "Exact Inference for the Linear Model with Groupwise Heteroscedasticity," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1760, Econometric Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.