Empirical Evidence for the Endogenous Growth Generated by Evolution in Division of Labor
AbstractFollowing up the empirical works of Jones (1995a,b) that reject two classes of the major endogenous growth models: the AK models and R&D based models, the paper tests the third class of endogenous growth models that generate endogenous evolution in division of labor against empirical data. It is shown that this class of endogenous growth models not only avoid scale effects, but also accommodate both convergence and divergence phenomena. One of the hypotheses generated by this class of endogenous growth models is that the divergence phenomenon takes place first between each pair of economies that enter the take off stage at different points in time, then the convergence phenomenon follows. This implies that the difference in per capita real income between the two economies is an inverse U shape curve. The empirical data strongly support the hypothesis.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute for International Development in its series Papers with number 671.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CAER Project, Harvard Institute for International Development, 14 Story Street, Cambridge MA 02138O
Web page: http://www.hiid.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bicak, H.A. & Jenkins, G.P., 1999.
"Costs and Pricing Policies Related to Transporting Water by Tanker from Turkey to North Cyprus,"
689, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Hasan Bicak & Glenn Jenkins, 1999. "Costs And Pricing Policies Related To Transporting Water By Tanker From Turkey To North Cyprus," Development Discussion Papers 1999-07, JDI Executive Programs.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.