Funding the Modern State: The Introduction of Value Added Tax in France
AbstractFrench fiscal reform stemmed from four separate but inter-related factors. The first was the rapid growth in government expenditure after the Second World War and a decline in the willingness of French people to lend money to the government. The second was that the tax system was seen to be profoundly inequitable, with reforms being a constant preoccupation of postwar governments. Thirdly, the tax system was considered to be inefficient and open to wide-scale fraud. And finally, the tax system was seen to favour and protect archaic and inefficient methods of production. However, not all these factors were of equal importance, as will now be explained.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Institute - History in its series Papers with number 97/2.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY INSTITUTE, ECONOMICS DEPARTMENT, BADIA FIESOLANA, SAN DOMENICO (FI), ITALY
TAXATION ; VALUE ADDED ; FRANCE;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H5 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.