Non-temporal Components of Residential Real Estate Appreciation
AbstractThis paper separates the components of capital appreciation returns in an asset market into fixed and stochastic portions. It proposes a control for the problem of fixed components in the capital appreciation return used in transactions-based return estimates. We find a consistent bias in the index resulting from repeat sales regressions which may be eliminated through simple methods. The sign and magnitude of the bias, as well as its systematic variation across property, suggest that it is caused by incremental home improvements, as well as by price risk. We propose a maximum likelihood method for estimating the first and second moments of the fixed and temporal components of real estate returns that relies upon relatively small samples. Copyright 1995 by MIT Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Columbia - Graduate School of Business in its series Papers with number 92-20.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: U.S.A.; COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS, PAINE WEBBER , New York, NY 10027 U.S.A
Phone: (212) 854-5553
Web page: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/business/
More information through EDIRC
capital ; regression analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Goetzmann, William N & Spiegel, Matthew, 1995. "Non-temporal Components of Residential Real Estate Appreciation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 199-206, February.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dorsey, Robert E. & Hu, Haixin & Mayer, Walter J. & Wang, Hui-chen, 2010. "Hedonic versus repeat-sales housing price indexes for measuring the recent boom-bust cycle," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 75-93, June.
- Joseph Gyourko & Joseph Tracy, 2003.
"Using home maintenance and repairs to smooth variable earnings,"
168, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Joseph Gyourko & Joseph Tracy, 2006. "Using Home Maintenance and Repairs to Smooth Variable Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 736-747, November.
- Stephen Billings & Thomas Thibodeau, 2011. "Intrametropolitan Decentralization: Is Government Structure Capitalized in Residential Property Values?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 416-450, May.
- Billings, Stephen B., 2011. "Estimating the value of a new transit option," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 525-536.
- James Bugden, 2014. "Quality-Adjusted Repeat-Sale House Price Indices," Working Papers 2014.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Michel Baroni & Fabrice Barthe´le´my & Mahdi Mokrane, 2007. "APCA Factor Repeat Sales Index for Apartment Prices in Paris," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(2), pages 137-158.
- James Bugden, 2013. "Renovations and the Repeat-Sales House Price Index," Working Papers 2013.08, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Dröes, Martijn I. & Hassink, Wolter H.J., 2013. "House price risk and the hedging benefits of home ownership," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 92-99.
- James Hansen, 2006. "Australian House Prices: A Comparison of Hedonic and Repeat-sales Measures," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2006-03, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Marilena Locatelli Biey & Roberto Zanola, 1999. "Investment in Paintings: A Short-Run Price Index," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 209-219, August.
- Marvin L. Wolverton & Jimmy Senteza, 2000. "Hedonic Estimates of Regional Constant Quality House Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(3), pages 235-253.
- Philippe Bracke, 2013. "House Prices and Rents: Micro Evidence from a Matched Dataset in Central London_x0003_," ERSA conference papers ersa13p112, European Regional Science Association.
- Baroni Michel & Barthélémy Fabrice & Mokrane Madhi, 2009.
"A repeat sales index robust to small datasets,"
THEMA Working Papers
2009-16, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Baroni, Michel & Barthélémy, Fabrice & Mokrane, Mahdi, 2009. "A repeat sales index Robust to small datasets," ESSEC Working Papers DR 09003, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Michel Baroni & Fabrice Barthélémy & Mokrane Mahdi, 2009. "A Repeat Sales Index Robust to Small Datasets," Post-Print hal-00551732, HAL.
- Goetzmann, William N. & Ibbotson, Roger G. & Peng, Liang, 2001.
"A new historical database for the NYSE 1815 to 1925: Performance and predictability,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-32, January.
- William N. Goetzmann & ROGER G. IBBOTSON & LIANG PENG, 2004. "A New Historical Database For The NYSE 1815 To 1925: Performance And Predictability," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm5, Yale School of Management.
- William N. Goetzmann & Roger G. Ibbotson & Liang Peng, 2000. "A New Historical Database For The NYSE 1815 To 1925: Performance And Predictability," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm154, Yale School of Management.
- William Goetzmann & Matthew Spiegel, 2000. "The Policy Implications of Portfolio Choice in Underserved Mortgage Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm161, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Mar 2001.
- Abel Cadenillas & Robert Elliott & Hong Miao & Zhenyu Wu, 2009. "Risk-Hedging in Real Estate Markets," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 265-285, December.
- Dubé, Jean & Thériault, Marius & Des Rosiers, François, 2013. "Commuter rail accessibility and house values: The case of the Montreal South Shore, Canada, 1992–2009," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 49-66.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.