Investment and Productivity Growth - A Survey from the Neoclassical and New Growth Perspectives
AbstractThis paper reviews the wide literature on investment and productivity with the debate between the neoclassical and the new growth theories providing a context for discussion. Both schools of thought regard investment, broadly defined to include purchases of tangible assets, human capital expenditures, research and development efforts, etc., as the fundamental source of improved productivity and economic growth, but the two views diverge on the exact transmission mechanism. Most importantly, the neoclassical framework focuses on internal returns to investors who appropriate the benefits of new investment, while new growth models emphasize external effects as productivity gains spill over to others. This crucial dichotomy leads to differences regarding the role of investment as a source of growth, policy prescriptions, and implications for long-run gains in productivity and living standards. The paper then reviews several empirical and conceptual issues relating to investment and productivity and outlines areas for future research.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Gouvernement du Canada - Industry Canada & Gouvernement du Canada - Industry Canada in its series Papers with number 24.
Length: 62 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canada; Industry Canada, Publications Officer, Micro-Economic Policy Analysis, Industry Canada 5th Floor, West Tower 235 Queen Street, Ottawa Ontario K1A 0H5
Web page: http://www.ic.gc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
INVESTMENTS ; PRODUCTIVITY ; ECONOMIC THEORY ; ECONOMIC GROWTH;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Petr Hanel, 2007. "Productivity and innovation: an overview of the issues," Cahiers de recherche 07-22, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.