Federal Provincial Fiscal Arrangements and Shared-Cost Programs in Agriculture
AbstractAgriculture Canada is concerned about the funding of agricultural programs as the number of shared-cost federal-provincial programs increase and requests from provinces for special assistance proliferate. Many of these requests are justified on the basis that the provinces do not have the ability to pay or the widespread extent of the problem. This raises questions of the appropriate interrelationships between agricultural programs and the federal-provincial fiscal arrangements. This study is designed to gain a better understanding of the principles involved in the federal-provincial fiscal arrangements and their relevance for agriculture and to establish clearer guidelines in responding to provincial requests. This study examines the basis for federal-provincial fiscal programs and federal transfer programs from a theoretical, legal and historical point of view. It also examines the special case of agriculture and the shared federal-provincial responsibility for agriculture under the constitution. A primary focus is to assess the rationale for special assistance programs for provinces or commodity groups such as those for grain farmers within the context of the overall framework of federal-provincial fiscal relations. The study also examines the fiscal consequences of increasing shared-cost programs in agriculture.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Gouvernement du Canada - Agriculture Canada in its series Papers with number 2-91.
Length: 65 pages
Date of creation: 1990
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: GOUVERNEMENT DU CANADA; AGRICULTURE CANADA; DIRECTION GENERALE DESPOLITIQ UES.
supply ; prices ; management ; economic models;
Other versions of this item:
- Grady, Patrick, 1990. "Federal provincial fiscal arrangements and shared-cost programs in agriculture," MPRA Paper 18503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
- H59 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.