Separation and Hedging Results with State-Contingent Production
AbstractA state-contingent model of production under uncertainty is developed and compared with more traditional models of production under uncertainty. Producer behavior with both production and price risk, in the presence and in the absence of futures and forward markets, is analyzed in this state-contingent framework. Conditions for the optimal hedge to be positive or negative are derived. The authors also show that, under plausible conditions, a risk-averse producer facing price uncertainty and the ability to hedge price risk will never willingly adopt a non-stochastic technology. New separation results, which hold in the presence of both price and production risk, are then developed. These separation results generalize Townsend's spanning results by reducing the number of necessary forward markets by one. Copyright 1997 by The London School of Economics and Political Science
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian National University - Department of Economics in its series Papers with number 293.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, RESEARCH SCHOOL of PACIFIC STUDIES, RESEARCH SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, G.P.O. 4, CANBERRA ACT 2601 AUSTRALIA..O. BOX 4 CANBERRA 2601 AUSTRALIA.
Web page: http://economics.anu.edu.au/economics.htm
More information through EDIRC
FINANCIAL MARKET; INTERNATIONAL FINANCE; PRODUCTION; STOCK MARKET;
Other versions of this item:
- Chambers, Robert G & Quiggin, John, 1997. "Separation and Hedging Results with State-Contingent Production," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 187-209, May.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hennessy, David A. & Roosen, Jutta, 2003.
"Cost-Based Model of Seasonal Production, with Application to Milk Policy, A,"
Staff General Research Papers
10176, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy & Jutta Roosen, 2003. "Cost-Based Model of Seasonal Production, with Application to Milk Policy, A," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 03-wp323, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- David A. Hennessy & Jutta Roosen, 2003. "Cost-Based Model of Seasonal Production, with Application to Milk Policy, A," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 03-wp323, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2006. "The effects of abandonment options on operating leverage and forward hedging," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 72-86.
- Chambers, Robert G., 2006. "Some Empirical Implications of State-Contingent Production Models," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 137789, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- C.J. O'Donnell & W.E. Griffiths, 2004.
"Estimating State-Contingent Production Frontiers,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
911, The University of Melbourne.
- Quiggin, John C. & Chambers, Robert G., 2006.
"The state-contingent approach to production under uncertainty,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
- John Quiggin & Robert G. Chambers, . "The state-contingent approach to production under uncertainty," Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers WPR05_1, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Quiggin, John & Chambers, Robert G, 2005. "The state-contingent approach to production and uncertainty," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151168, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Jaenicke, Edward C. & Larson, James A., 2001. "Production Risk Revisited In A Stochastic Frontier Framework: Evaluating Noise And Inefficiency In Cover Crop Systems," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20477, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.