The Cost of Conservatism: Extreme Returns, Value-at Risk, and the Basle Multiplicaiton Factor
AbstractWe argue that most current methodologies for value-at-risk (VaR) underestimate the VaR, and are therefore ill-suited for market risk capital. Better VaR methods are available, such as the tail-fitting method proposed here. However, financial institutions may be relctant to use those mehtods since current market risk regulations may, perversely, provide incentives for banks to underestimate the VaR.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Special Papers with number sp100.
Date of creation: Feb 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wagner P. Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton, 2008.
"Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regressions,"
Working Papers Series
161, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Gaglianone, Wagner Piazza & Lima, Luiz Renato & Linton, Oliver & Smith, Daniel R., 2011. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regression," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(1), pages 150-160.
- Wagner Piazza Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton & Daniel Smith, 2010. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models via Quantile Regression," NCER Working Paper Series 67, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Gaglianone, Wagner Piazza & Linton, Oliver & Lima, Luiz Renato Regis de Oliveira, 2008. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk models via Quantile regressions," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 679, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Wagner Piazza Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima & Oliver Linton & Daniel Smith, 2009. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk models via Quantile Regression," Economics Working Papers we094625, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Giacomo Bormetti & Maria Elena De Giuli & Danilo Delpini & Claudia Tarantola, 2008. "Bayesian Analysis of Value-at-Risk with Product Partition Models," Papers 0809.0241, arXiv.org, revised May 2009.
- Jon Danielsson & Casper G. de Vries & Bjorn N. Jorgensen, 1998. "The value of value at risk: statistical, financial, and regulatory considerations (summary)," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 107-108.
- Gimeno, Ricardo & Gonzalez, Clara I., 2012. "An automatic procedure for the estimation of the tail index," MPRA Paper 37023, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Borak, Szymon & Misiorek, Adam & Weron, Rafal, 2010.
"Models for Heavy-tailed Asset Returns,"
25494, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Szymon Borak & Adam Misiorek & Rafal Weron, 2010. "Models for Heavy-tailed Asset Returns," HSC Research Reports HSC/10/01, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Szymon Borak & Adam Misiorek & Rafał Weron, 2010. "Models for Heavy-tailed Asset Returns," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-049, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Rossignolo, Adrian F. & Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Shaban, Mohamed, 2012. "Value-at-Risk models and Basel capital charges," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 303-319.
- Flavio Bazzana, 2001. "I modelli interni per la valutazione del rischio di mercato secondo l'approccio del Value at Risk," Alea Tech Reports 011, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 14 Jun 2008.
- Rossignolo, Adrián F. & Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Shaban, Mohamed, 2013. "Market crises and Basel capital requirements: Could Basel III have been different? Evidence from Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain (PIGS)," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1323-1339.
- Adam Misiorek & Rafal Weron, 2010. "Heavy-tailed distributions in VaR calculations," HSC Research Reports HSC/10/05, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Weron, Rafał, 2004. "Computationally intensive Value at Risk calculations," Papers 2004,32, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.