UK Directors Trading: The Impact of Dealings in Smaller Firms
AbstractThis paper reassesses the UK results of significant abnormal returns from directors trading for a new sample of directors trades 1984-1988, and finds that abnormal returns tend to be concentrated in smaller firms. When an appropriate benchmark portfolio is used, it is found that the significance of the abnormal returns is substantially reduced. The implication is that after allowing for a size effect, directors trading does not yield particularly high profits to either the directors themselves or to any outside investors mimicking those directors trades.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp160.
Date of creation: May 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
Other versions of this item:
- Gregory, Alan, et al, 1994. "UK Directors' Trading: The Impact of Dealings in Smaller Firms," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(422), pages 37-53, January.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2009.
"Insider Trading in Hong Kong: Tests of Stock Returns and Trading Frequency,"
042009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Michael Firth & T. Y. Leung & Oliver M. Rui, 2011. "Insider Trading in Hong Kong: Tests of Stock Returns and Trading Frequency," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(03), pages 505-533.
- Julan Du & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004.
"Does Insider Trading Raise Market Volatility?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(498), pages 916-942, October.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Julan Du, 2003. "Does Insider Trading Raise Market Volatility?," IMF Working Papers 03/51, International Monetary Fund.
- Julan Du & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "Does Insider Trading Raise Market Volatility?," NBER Working Papers 9541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julan Du & Shang-Jin Wei, 2002. "Does Insider Trading Raise Market Volatility?," Working Papers 072002, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Jana P. Fidrmuc & Marc Goergen & Luc Renneboog, 2006.
"Insider Trading, News Releases, and Ownership Concentration,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2931-2973, December.
- Fidrmucova, J. & Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2005. "Insider Trading, News Releases and Ownership Concentration," Discussion Paper 2005-025, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Fidrmucova, J. & Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2005. "Insider Trading, News Releases and Ownership Concentration," Discussion Paper 2005-97, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Olaf Stotz, 2006. "Germany's New Insider Law: The Empirical Evidence after the First Year," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 449-462, November.
- Katherine Uylangco & Steve Easton & Robert Faff, 2010. "The equity and efficiency of the Australian share market with respect to director trading," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(1), pages 5-19, July.
- Adriana Korczak & Piotr Korczak & Meziane Lasfer, 2010.
"To Trade or Not to Trade: The Strategic Trading of Insiders around News Announcements,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3-4), pages 369-407.
- Adriana Korczak & Piotr Korczak & Meziane Lasfer, 2009. "To Trade or Not to Trade: The Strategic Trading of Insiders around News Announcements," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 09/613, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Fidrmuc Jana P. & Goergen Marc & Renneborg Luc, 2005. "Insider Trading, News Releases and Ownership Concentration," Working Papers wpn05-03, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Bruce Burton & A. Alasdair Lonie & David Power, 2003. "Insider trading, growth opportunities and the market reaction to new financing announcements," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 301-322.
- Kyriacos Kyriacou & Bryan Mase, 2006. "The Adverse Consequences of Share-Based Pay in Risky Companies," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 307-323, September.
- Connelly, J. Thomas & Limpaphayom, Piman & Nagarajan, Nandu J., 2012. "Form versus substance: The effect of ownership structure and corporate governance on firm value in Thailand," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1722-1743.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Zhang, C., 2008.
"Do UK Institutional Shareholders Monitor their Investee Firms?,"
2008-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Zhang, C., 2008. "Do UK Institutional Shareholders Monitor Their Investee Firms?," Discussion Paper 2008-016, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Lisa Hotson & Navjot Kaur & Harminder Singh, 2007. "The Information Content of Directors’ Trades: Empirical Analysis of the Australian Market," Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning and Insurance Series 2007_19, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Nadia Linciano, 2003. "The Effectiveness of Insider Trading Regulation in Italy. Evidence from Stock-Price Run-Ups Around Announcements of Corporate Control Transactions," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Andreas Zingg & Sebastian Lang & Daniela Wyttenbach, 2007. "Insider Trading in the Swiss Stock Market," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(III), pages 331-362, September.
- Rose, Caspar, 2003. "Impact of investor meetings/presentations on share prices, insider trading and securities regulation," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 227-236, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.