An introduction to the FRBNY Consumer Credit Panel
AbstractIn this paper, we introduce the FRBNY Consumer Credit Panel, a new longitudinal database with detailed information on consumer debt and credit. The panel uses a unique sample design and information derived from consumer credit reports to track individuals’ and households’ access to and use of credit at a quarterly frequency. In any given quarter ranging from the first quarter of 1999 to the present, the panel can be used to compute nationally representative estimates of the levels and changes in various aspects of individual and household liabilities. In addition to describing the sample design, the use of sample weights, and the credit report information included in the database, we provide some comparisons of population statistics and consumer debt estimates derived from our panel with those based on data from the American Community Survey and the Flow of Funds Accounts of the United States.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its series Staff Reports with number 479.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-03 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Donghoon Lee & Christopher Mayer & Joseph Tracy, 2012.
"A new look at second liens,"
569, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Michelle White & Wenli Li, 2011. "Residential Mortgage Default and Consumer Bankruptcy: Theory and Empirical Evidence," 2011 Meeting Papers 1038, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Neil Bhutta, 2012. "Mortgage debt and household deleveraging: accounting for the decline in mortgage debt using consumer credit record data," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Meta Brown & Andrew Haughwout & Donghoon Lee & Wilbert van der Klaauw, 2013.
"The financial crisis at the kitchen table: trends in household debt and credit,"
Current Issues in Economics and Finance,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 19(April).
- Meta Brown & Andrew Haughwout & Donghoon Lee & Wilbert van der Klaauw, 2010. "The financial crisis at the kitchen table: trends in household debt and credit," Staff Reports 480, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Raven Molloy & Hui Shan, 2011.
"The post-foreclosure experience of U.S. households,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2011-32, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kyle F. Herkenhoff, 2012. "Informal unemployment insurance and labor market dynamics," Working Papers 2012-057, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Edward S. Knotek II & John Carter Braxton, 2012. "What drives consumer debt dynamics?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q IV.
- Geetesh Bhardwaj & Rajdeep Sengupta, 2011. "Credit scoring and loan default," Working Papers 2011-040, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Philip Bond & Ronel Elul & Sharon Garyn-Tal & David K. Musto, 2012. "Does junior inherit? Refinancing and the blocking power of second mortgages," Working Papers 13-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Andrew Haughwout & Donghoon Lee & Joseph Tracy & Wilbert van der Klaauw, 2011. "Real estate investors, the leverage cycle, and the housing market crisis," Staff Reports 514, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Alice M. Henriques & Joanne W. Hsu, 2012. "Analysis of Wealth Using Micro and Macro Data: A Comparison of the Survey of Consumer Finances and Flow of Funds Accounts," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Economic Sustainability and Progress National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grant Graziani & Wilbert van der Klaauw & Basit Zafar, 2013. "A boost in the paycheck: survey evidence on workers’ response to the 2011 payroll tax cuts," Staff Reports 592, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- John Krainer, 2012. "Consumer debt and the economic recovery," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug20.
- Alice M. Henriques & Joanne W. Hsu, 2013. "Analysis of wealth using micro and macro data: a comparison of the Survey of Consumer Finances and Flow of Funds Accounts," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-46, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Meta Brown & Andrew Haughwout & Donghoon Lee & Wilbert van der Klaauw, 2011. "Do we know what we owe? A comparison of borrower- and lender-reported consumer debt," Staff Reports 523, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Meta Brown & Sarah Stein & Basit Zafar, 2013. "The impact of housing markets on consumer debt: credit report evidence from 1999 to 2012," Staff Reports 617, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.