The Structure of Household Consumption in Finland, 1966-1990
AbstractThe structure of household consumption is examined in nine component categories using data from six Household Budget Surveys, in 1966-1990. The study discusses and presents econometric methods (EQML) to estimate demand models at the micro (household) level. Methods solve for an 'errors-in-variables' problem in a novel way and allow for heteroskedasticity in the errors. Budget share equations which are based on a flexible functional form (QAIDS) are used to analyse the age profiles and Engel curves in consumption. Similarly, the life-cycle profiles and cohort paths in consumption and the effects of household composition are examined. The results show a useful decomposition of the above demographic effects and the effects due to change in prices and improved living standards on the evolution of consumption. In the final part of the study estimates for the price and expenditure elasticities of demand are presented both including and not including the acquisition of durable goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Research Reports with number 27.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1995
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marja Riihelä & Risto Sullström & Tuomala & Matti, 2002. "On Economic Poverty in Finland in the 1990s," Discussion Papers, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) 264, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Risto Sullström & Heikki A. Loikkanen & Anssi Rantala, 1998. "Regional Income Differences in Finland, 1966-96," Discussion Papers, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) 181, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Marja Riihelä & Risto Sullström & Matti Tuomala, 2007.
"Economic Poverty in Finland 1971-2004,"
Discussion Papers, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT)
418, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Marja Riihelä & Risto Sullström & Matti Tuomala, 2008. "Economic Poverty in Finland 1971–2004," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 57-77, Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.