Sobre el Reparto de la Financiación Sanitaria
AbstractIn this paper we develop a methodology that can be used to estimate the cost function implicit in the sharing rule for health-related financing that is used in the Spanish regional financing system using data on observed expenditure and controlling in a specific way for total financing. Even though the results of the estimation are not very precise, they can be used to draw some conclusions about the way in which the financing formula should be modified in order to provide all regions with the necessary resources to provide health care of uniform quality. We find, in particular, that it is very likely that the current formula underestimates aging-related costs. We also find evidence of economies of scale and conclude that health care costs are higher in the island regions, rise with land area and decrease with disposable income through a lower rate of utilization of public health care facilities. We also quantify the impact of regional differences in price levels on wage cos ts. Allowing for this factor, we construct indicators of relative regional “expenditure needs” at equal real wages for public health care personnel in all regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Economic Reports with number 14-08.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
Other versions of this item:
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H75 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Government: Health, Education, and Welfare
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-04 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Angel de la Fuente, 2011. "El Nuevo Sistema De Financiación De Las Comunidades Autónomas De Régimen Común: Un Análisis Crítico Y Datos Homogéneos Para 2009," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 884.11, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC), revised 18 Nov 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.