Un índice de rugosidad del terreno a escala municipal a partir de modelos de elevación digital de acceso público
AbstractThis working paper looks at a geographical feature that, to our knowledge, has not been investigated in Spain so far, terrain ruggedness. Using geographical information systems and two public access digital elevation models we construct a terrain ruggedness index that quantifies topographic heterogeneity, and is based on the slope with neighborhood cells. Focusing on the higher resolution Digital Elevation Model, we show that ruggedness and altitude are almost completely unrelated and both variables have a very different spatial distribution. The main conclusion is that the ruggedness index provides a summary of a useful geographical feature of the landscape, in the same way as altitude or proximity to the coast. In addition, the Digital Terrain Model of ruggedness can be used to obtain average values of ruggedness at any level of geographical aggregation we desire, such as regions or municipalities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation in its series Working Papers with number 20105.
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Digital Elevation Model; ruggedness index; altitude; GTOPO30; SRTM;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N50 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - General, International, or Comparative
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-09 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rafael González-Val & Daniel A. Tirado-Fabregat & Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2013.
"Market potential and city growth: Spain 1860-1960,"
2013/13, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Rafael González-Val & Daniel A. Tirado Fabregat & Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2013. "Market potential and city growth : Spain 1860-1960," Working Papers in Economic History wp13-04, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.