Determinants of corporate financing decisions: a survey evidence from Czech firms
AbstractThis paper investigates the empirical evidence on determinants of financing decisions on the pool of respondents among financial managers of Czech firms. The theoretical section provides an overview of prominent contemporary theories on capital structure. Employing Chi-square Sign Test and Logit regression the empirical analysis provides the evidence how the financial managers perceive particular instruments of internal and external financing. We find, that firms follow pecking order theory for working capital financing, however the arguments for pecking order theory in investment financing are not that strong. Firms prefer retained earnings among internal financing instruments and bank loans and leasing among external financing instruments. Finally, the paper discusses the links with practice and some limitations of the results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies in its series Working Papers IES with number 2008/01.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision: Jan 2008
corporate finance; capital structure; trade-off theory; pecking order theory; transition economies; survey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2008-02-23 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-TRA-2008-02-23 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Irena Jindrichovska & Erginbay Ugurlu & Dana Kubickova, 2013. "Changes in Capital Structure of Czech SMEs: A Dynamic Panel Data Approach," Ekonomika a Management, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(3), pages 6-26.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.